Tuesday, April 9, 2024

About Edward Harrison Crane

by Melinda Pillsbury-Foster

Ed Crane had many people who respected him in the early days of the Libertarian Party.  I was not one of them, my understanding of his principles having been based on several direct experiences with him.  Also, others who had known him from other parts of his life, had also been informative.

Crane had gotten his undergraduate degree from UC Berkeley and this degree in finance from the University of Southern California not far from his mother's home in the Los Angeles Area.  But he wanted more from life for himself and the Libertarian Party may well have struck him as the opportunity he had been waiting for. Crane's motives for joining the LP may have been in the main, financial; the evidence I had chanced upon certainly made it seem so to me. 

Crane was not making it as a financial advisor and had greater ambitions.  Bruce Staller, who was an activist from Eastern LA County, had known Crane while Crane was struggling to build a clientele for his financial services in Los Angeles.  

Staller was then the head of Bateman, Eichler, Hill Richards in Los Angeles. 

When I first joined the Libertarian Party in 1973 I was delighted to find people who talked about ideas and wanted to take action on them.  My first hand experiences with Edward H. Crane, III, recounted on Facebook and at Freedom Memes  cover some significant periods of LP History.  Noting these events, I saw what impact individuals and their actions had on the direction the LP was taking.   Please do the same, noting what progress is made when the facts are identified and understood.  



You can view the video, made by Jim Turney in 1985 now on YouTube, placed there by Libertarianism.org from this link, 


The video above was made by Jim Turney, who I have known for many years through the LP.  

Crane's strategy worked in 1971.  His goal was to meet people with money and influence and built a career through those interested in freedom.  And until he was booted from CATO on October 1, 2012, that is exactly what he did.  

I first encountered an example of Craig's ethical viewpoints at a party in 1975 from a young woman who had direct experience with Crane.  

I walked away from the Libertarian Party, after many years of activism, around 1999, having written a short pamphlet with advice on correcting their present trajectory.  Having read it over, today I would modify it in ways, but the central focus for interaction between people at all levels would not change.  Pamphlet

It was 1973 when I discovered the LP.  I had tuned into listen while I was making baby clothes for my yet unborn child, who would be named Dawn. 

What I heard was electrifying, and that was the voice of Tonie Nathan on the newly formed Libertarian Party.  As you likely recall, Tonie was the LP’s first candidate for Vice President.

I stuck myself with the needle and put down my work, fascinated. 

I had read Atlas Shrugged in one sitting when I was 12.  Mom tried to take the book out of my hands at dinner time.  But I refused to let go.  I heard Dad from the other room say, “Let her read.  She’ll stop when she gets hungry.”  He well knew separating me from a book was not worth the effort.  The rule in our family was, “If you can read the book, you can read the book.”  No censorship. 

I finished the book at dawn and got up an hour or so later, ravenous.  Breakfast was a double portion.  It was not until I joined the LP I found out that Ayn was a woman. 

Enough for the segue; Nolan’s first public action was to write and have published an article in the The Individualist, August – September, 1971.  The article was titled, “The Case for a Libertarian Political Party”. Many freedom-oriented people read it. 

The awareness that neither party was really open to the ideas of freedom had begun to crystallize. More people began to understand they had no home in either the GOP or the Democratic parties. Objections to Nixon’s policies, on financing and the ongoing war in Vietnam were forcing people to think out the ramifications of Nixon’s resulting policies.   

Action was being taken on issues and dialog on the ideas was growing, and these were coalescing from non-political groups.  An example of this was taking place at UC Berkeley with the Alliance of Libertarian Activists.  It was on the Berkeley campus that a college group first used the word, “Libertarian” to identify themselves. 

Rand and Mises were two authors all of us had read. 

In California, and around the country, excited libertarians began organizing locally.  The first local organization I found was in the San Fernando Valley.  Their office was the phone at the home of Shirley Gottlieb. Ed Wolford, then California State Secretary, came to the house to sign me up and hand me my first membership card.  At this time, I also met Bruce Lagasse, who some years later, would host the meeting attended by key activists, which included me, evidently, as I was invited, and by then I was Southern California Vice Chairman.

In 1979 Ed Crane came in for that meeting, held so he could tell us with a straight face he was ONLY in charge of publicity for the Presidential Campaign of Ed Clark.  I think everyone but me believed him. 

I had learned very early that Ed Crane was held views very different from my own. 

My first encounter with Crane Values.

My first exposure to Ed’s unusual use of LP resources took place at the Victory Party held at Sally (Sarah) Foster’s home in the San Fernando Valley.  This was probably the celebration for the successful ballot drive, there were several during that period. 

With two small children, one still nursing, I knew I would be spending most of the evening sitting on the couch.  Next to me was a woman, about my age, also sitting.  Introducing myself, I was told her name was Maureen, or something like that.  It certainly began with an M. 

We fell into conversation, which eventually, after appropriate comments on the kids, turned to the Libertarian Party.  I asked her about her experiences after telling her something about my own.  Well, she said, she had done volunteer work for Ed Crane while he was Southern California Vice Chairman.  My interest was piqued, I asked her what she did. 

Evidently, volunteers, all of them apparently women, were scheduled to come to the HQ, which was Crane’s apartment, every hour.  A half hour was spent doing routine clerical work, filing, typing, and such.  And then, after a half hour, Ed and another woman came out of the bedroom as another woman arrived through the apartment door, and M and Ed went into the bedroom to have sex. 

I was dumbfounded, at a loss for words.  But my hesitant further queries affirmed her experience. Then, she got up and went to refill her wine glass, as I recall. About then, Ayn decided it was mealtime and I began nursing her.   

I had heard of Crane, but this form of volunteerism was beyond my comprehension. I was shocked into silence and gulped before being able to continue our conversation.  

The techniques used to ensure successful breast feeding from La Leche League were very familiar to me and at the time I was training to teach natural childbirth, Bradley Technique.  

Ayn had been born at home.  Although we had planned to have my gynecologist there, Dr. Solomon, he did not make it.  And since Ron was out in the garage tinkering with one of his multiple projects, which he never seemed to finish, I gave birth alone.  It was a beautiful experience.  No problems whatsoever. 

Today Ayn is running for City Council in Irvine, CA.  


Roger McBride’s Campaign for President - 1976

The LP candidate in 1976 was Roger McBride, then the producer of Little House on the Prairie, and the adopted grandson of Rose Wilder Lane, who, as the daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder, had inherited the rights to both Wilder and Lane’s books. 

Roger was divorced and had custody of the daughter he and his wife had adopted as a baby.  Her name was Abigail and at Roger’s death she inherited the rights to the books. 

Roger had promised us during his first visit to Los Angeles for his campaign, we could host his Election Victory Party if we got him on the ballot, and we had accomplished what seemed impossible, getting him on the ballot.

We had a rally; I, think at someplace adjacent to the airport on his first visit. There was music and a temporary stage at the front, where Roger stood to give his speech, which was inspiring and enthusiastically received.   Roger arrived at the airport flying his own plane, NOFORCE ONE. 

Naturally, I had brought Dawn and Ayn, and we sat right up front so they could see.  When the music started, they started dancing on the floor directly below the stage.  Watching them, Roger leaned down and picked up Dawn, who was the closest to him, asking what her name was.  When she replied “Dawn,” he laughed, and holding her up he told the audience she was a New Dawn for America, that being the name of Roger’s campaign book. Everyone cheered at the joke.

I had told Roger over the phone that my daughter just ate up his book, meaning she had gotten one off the pile before I put then up higher, and carried it around to teeth on.  I think I still have that copy. 

After that, Roger challenged us to get him on the ballot, promising the Victory Party would take place in Los Angeles if we succeeded.  We did it!

The ‘Victory Party’ was held at a downtown hotel, a gleeful celebration that  people came in for it from around the country, as I recall. 

The next year, the California LP held its 1977 Convention at the Viscount Hotel adjacent to LAX.  I was still living in West Los Angeles at the time and was asked by the Convention Manager, Paul Lepanto, to help him out.  This involved doing what Paul thought was needed, mailings and planning events at the convention and picking up speakers and guests at the airport.  One of these was to be Roger McBride, who I had chatted with occasionally after the election. 

I was delighted to be picking Roger up at the airport, but he insisted on carrying his own suitcase.  One of the perks of helping out at the convention was getting to sit at the head table.  Sally Foster was also seated there next to Thomas Szasz, who was also speaking. 

Roger and I began talking about his campaign and what would be coming up next.  A campaign to secure permanent ballot status for the LP for California was also in the planning stages. 

I had made a dress for the banquet.  It was full length with short sleeves and a modest neckline.  Ron, my husband, was at home with the kids and had promised to stay there with them.  All was well in my world. 

Suddenly, someone punched me in the side, hard.  I do not take well to being touched by strangers, much less struck. I turned to look for the guilty party and was astonished to see someone who looked remarkably like my brother, Charles Arthur Pillsbury.  I looked again.  No, this could not be Cappy, my childhood name for my brother.  Cappy or also Chuck, had been released from the Air Force by then and having finished his undergraduate degree at UC Davis, interrupted by the call up for Vietnam, was busy with completing his degree in law while flying for the National Guard and working part time as a legislative aide in Sacramento.

These facts having filtered through my mind, and noticing the fellow’s facial details more closely, I knew this was a complete stranger and said, “You look like my brother.  Go away.”  And he got up and left.  That was my first encounter with Edward Harrison Crane, III.  

I turned back to continue my conversation with Roger. 

Around this time, I think I was elected Southern California Vice Chair, a post I would hold for six years.  

 


Beginning in the late 1980s I began studying the then nascent materials available on psychopathy, not because of Ed Crane, but because of other individuals I had encountered.  See Life Stealers  for information on psychopathy.  The site includes the most recent insights using neuroscience, these provided by Dr. Kent Kiehl, PhD in Neuroscience.  Kiehl originated the use of the functionalMRI for carrying out brain scans which document whether or not the Amygdala, the small organ seated in the center of the brain is functioning - or not.  The Amygdala is the organ responsible for the human conscience and other emotions which modify our behavior.  

It became a personal routine for me to see what else was appearing on the subject.  Psychopathic individuals make up about 4% of humanity, and have IQs in the same range as non-psychopathic individuals. 

No comments: